Saturday, May 1, 2010

Blueberry-Jam Cake



I am in the process of cleaning up my pantry, since we will soon be moving again. I discovered the joy of jam making last summer and have still several jars stored in my pantry. So, what should I do with all of them? We can certainly not finish them up by spreading them on our morning toast, so I was searching for other ideas. I  have decided to make a jam cake, something I never tried before or even heard of. I found several recipes that sounded delicious. And the best thing is that a whole glass of jam is used in one cake.

I chose a recipe from the lovely blog "honey and jam" for a blackberry jam cake. I didn't label most of my jams, because I was sure I would still know later which one is which. Well, it wasn't the case, I opened one of my blueberry lavender jams instead. But as it turned out it was a very good choice for the cake. I also used brown sugar instead of regular and reduced the amount. Then I added a cup of chopped walnuts, which fit very well.

I really liked the cake, it was moist and tasted very fruity. I will definitely make it again with some of my other jams.


Blueberry-Jam Cake

adapted from "honey and jam"


270 g (3 cups) of cake flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
227 g (1 cup) butter, room temperature
150 g (¾ cup) brown sugar
4 eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
200 ml (¾ cup) sour cream
250 ml (1 cup) blueberry jam
120 g (1 cup) chopped walnuts

powdered sugar for dusting


Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit (150° Celsius). Butter your 12 cup bundt or tube pan.

Sift together the flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and baking powder and set aside.

Cream the butter with a mixer, then add the sugar continuing on medium speed until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add the eggs one at a time still beating. Add in the vanilla and beat until combined.

While mixing more slowly alternately add the flower mixture and the sour cream. Fold in the blueberry jam and the walnuts and pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 15 minutes at 300 F (150° Celsius), then increase the heat to 350 F (180° C) and bake for another 40-45. It will be ready when a cake tester comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack and dust with powdered sugar before serving.


Enjoy and Guten Appetit!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...